Wednesday, 27 January 2016

          Applied Practice 1 - Welcome to my Reflective Journal.


                                 
                                          
A classroom at Fendalton Open-air School, Clyde Road, Christchurch (1928) And in 2016

I am Deborah Davids, a Year 3 teacher at Fendalton Open-air School. I have a fantastic team of passionate teachers who work with our children, who come from all four corners of the globe! I am also a Team Leader and responsible for Curriculum Consistency across the school. 

I came to teaching via a series of practical decisions. I completed my own education in London, at the Italia Conti Stage School and spent the first thirty years of my life as a professional actor and dancer. It was an excellent experience to teach me that sometimes the subjects considered as 'extras', rather than the '3Rs', can be more important to students future careers. 


Teaching started as the best fit and most practical thing I could do to be there for my three children. I headed off to the Christchurch College of Education to learn what I needed to 'teach' children and how to plan a full program to cater to the needs of a class. College started me on the journey, but it was my children's school experiences that showed me how to be a teacher. 


I have two girls and one boy. It was the extra curricula subjects which inspired their future passions. One is in the travel industry after she became passionate about travelling after touring with school sports and subsequently becoming a national rep. My eldest is an elected member in local government who learned about social issues from high school involvement in social issue groups. The third, after falling in love with classical music at school through choirs and orchestra, took up ballet and now works in a ballet company in St Petersburg, Russia. 


                 
                                    

Author's own images.


It was their experience that made me fall in love with the profession and change it from my practical choice to one of passion. I saw them develop as people through relationships with teachers who challenged them, supported them and encouraged them to follow their own paths.

So What?

My observations of the most effective teachers for my children have moulded my attitude to the two most important things in my practice - relationships and creating confidence in the learner. We are all diverse thinkers and learners, with different talents, attitudes and backgrounds. It is finding out what makes our children 'tick' and encouraging them to take risks that is my key focus. 

Now What?

We are privileged to be part of developing the future global citizens of the world. It is important that they develop an understanding of issues from around the world. 

When I was at school we were reliant on newspapers or TV reports, often days old and heavily biased towards the current beliefs of the country involved. It was a leap of faith signing up to MindLab but it has given me a new challenge and ways to present learning to 21st century children. 

The opportunities that technology and media have to let children study in depth what they are interested in, to create their own opinions and then propose a solution, can self perpetuate a feeling of confidence. The challenge for me is twofold, to show the children how to access information responsibly and selectively, and to create meaningful learning experiences from the new knowledge they have gained. 

My own career has taken me from a tiny sole charge remote school, where a telephone was our most modern technology, through an Area School where I taught all ages from New Entrants to Year 10 and took my first steps in using two stand alone computers, with very slow internet speed, to help with my reading program... To my current school where everything is online. 



This is the journey I am currently on, it is by turns exciting, exhausting, terrifying and rewarding! BUT always full of surprises and laughter.

                   
  Author's own image.

References:


Web image retrieved from Christchurch City Libraries:  http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/Heritage/Photos/Disc7/img0025.asp


This is a personal weblog. The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employer.
                                                       

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic blog D, I love how your children have inspired your career. My old boss told me I would become an even better teacher after having children...He was right!

    ReplyDelete