Activity 2: Metacognitive reflection on my learning and practice.
MindLab crept up on me! At a morning meeting one of my young teachers said that our principal had suggested she might be interested in a new course. She said she didn't want to do it alone and would I like to do it too? After looking at the paperwork I was excited. Six years ago I barely knew how to use a word document! I loved to write in longhand... back then I had just started to 'branch out' and try to use Google and Face Book. So any opportunity to learn new skills or ways to apply technology purposefully in the classroom are a source of excitement.
We both turned up for the information evening and enjoyed the activity, but there were resonant groans when people were given the assessments to look at. (I was completely innocent and had no idea what it was all about - I always start with the presumption that 'I can't!')
The next day my young friend confided that she had withdrawn! So there I was on my own with a new challenge. However MindLab is a place for conversation with peers and most especially those with similar interests and goals for their teaching practice.
I have found it a challenge from day 1! Not just an intellectual challenge, but to my beliefs and habits that I had become content and comfortable with.
“A highly connected, interdependent education system that equips students with skills for the future, fosters students’ identity, language and culture, and prepares students to participate as successful citizens in the 21st century.”
(NZ Ministry of Education)
The immediate challenge was to apply the learning at a pace and level suitable to my class. They found the ideas of James Nottingham's 'Learning Pit' fascinating and immediately were able to apply it to their own learning.
The children were soon voicing how far they were either in or out of the 'pit' and became happier to take risks creating for themselves a 'Growth Mindset,' as described by Carol Dweck (2006).
The children were soon voicing how far they were either in or out of the 'pit' and became happier to take risks creating for themselves a 'Growth Mindset,' as described by Carol Dweck (2006).
Senior school had started to use Google Docs for the children to share their writing with their teacher and comment on each other's work. With my new learning I felt confident to not only introduce the use of Docs down to Year 3/4 level but also to have the children commenting on their peers' work - which I had previously not thought children as young as 7 would be capable of.
Code Club was introduced to Middle Team and conducted by teachers during the lunch hour. However it was about this time that I realised it was time to call a halt to new ventures. There are only so many things you can be part of initiating or participating in over a year until you hit overload, for both yourself and your children. Being enthusiastic is one thing - doing things well is quite another, but I felt satisfied that both the learning of my class and that of my own had increased and was in a position to move forward in the coming year.
Fendalton Open-air School has it's own version of the Key Competencies so I will think in terms of those to assess my own progress.
-
- Thinker - Can put things into practice.
- Dream Maker - Self motivated, self responsible and understanding of their strengths and areas for development.
- Communicator - Flexible and can get their message across.
- Team Player - Contributes and participates, collaborates and cooperates, respects others and values and celebrates diversity.
- Sparkle - The vibrancy and excitement you bring to learning.
My greatest progress this year has been in analysing my Leadership style and seeing that I had a bad habit of falling back onto 'looking after' people rather than effectively leading and challenging. This has led me to re-evaluate how I want to move forward in 2016 with a new team. I believe I have also improved my 'Communicator' skills, as it has become one of my goals for the coming year to clarify both my team's and my own message before making decisions or commenting. I have previously been too flexible with the team's goals to cater to the teachers needs rather than having the hard conversations necessary to make progress towards our children's needs.
However I am encouraged by the progress I have made to becoming a better 'Thinker,' able to action plans to use both technology and new ideas and learning, which I would previously have found challenging. This is largely due to the course's presentation of innovative ideas and the support of both the tutors and my peer group. A good lesson for a teacher to see how important it is to both challenge children and to stand back to give the children the opportunity for leadership amongst their peers. There is nothing like personal experience to teach!
References:
Ministry of Education, TE TAHUHU O TE MATAURANGA (April 2015) New Zealand Education in 2025: Lifelong Learners In A Connected World. Discussion
Document. Learning Media
Document. Learning Media
Nottingham, J. The Learning Challenge with James Nottingham. Retrieved from:
https://vimeo.com/128462566
Dweck, C.S. (2006). Mindset: The new psychology of success. New York:
Random House.
Fendalton Open-air School, Key Competencies. Retrieved from:
http://www.fendalton.school.nz/



No comments:
Post a Comment